Help A Sista Out!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Miss Foxy Brown's Newest Update!



A lot of you have been asking how Miss Brown's procedures went on Tuesday. I apologize that I haven't had the time to write anything until now. Here's the scoop:

Miss Foxy Brown is home and recovering, I can't express how glad I am about that. She is high risk for anesthesia and I'm glad she pulled through. There was a scare on Tuesday but she was very clear that she's not done being adored by everyone that meets her. She did not recover as gracefully as we had hoped, at first. She had to return to the animal hospital on Wednesday, due to what they think was a reaction to her medications. She has been given alternate medication since then and seems to be responding well to it.

On Saturday, Miss Foxy Brown and I got a call from her Veterinarian. He got the results of her last blood test. She has a thyroid issue and is on medication that she will have to take for the rest of her days. It should help her lose weight without me having to starve her and that will help take pressure off of her heart. She had to be very closely monitored to be sure she didn't become ill from the new medication. She was mildly dehydrated so, getting sick would have had serious repercussions.

As for Tuesday's findings: Foxy Brown has an enlarged heart and weak heart valves, the dog doctor was worried that she had a leaking heart valve but he said she didn't. What a relief! He mentioned that although her heart is enlarged, it looks good. I say her heart is too big because she has too much love to give. I know, cheesy... But it makes me feel better.

She had to lose 5 teeth, all on one side of her mouth, due to the infection that has been in her body. She is still on antibiotics and we hope that removing the teeth that the infection took over, will knock out it out entirely.

Miss Brown also has an enlarged liver. He hopes this will not create problems in the future but he thinks it is due to her age.

Unfortunately, Miss Foxy Brown has a collapsed trachea. This condition was already a situation when I got her. It has worsened but not much from when I first took her to a vet. This is a concerning problem but it's common in small dogs. I already use a harness instead of a collar to prevent further damage and I have tried to be overly preventative about this. This unhappy diagnosis has gotten worse due to age and I will have to be even more cautious about it in the future.

The saddest part about all of her health problems is that they are mostly a result of how poorly she was taken care of in her younger days. When I got her she had to battle pancreatitis, lose teeth due to poor dental health, she was terrified of people, she had hot spots and she was basically fighting to be healthy enough to stay alive. I am so glad I got to help her enjoy a frolicsome life, filled with people that love her. I'm just sad she has had to deal with this bit of bad health.

I hope that she will go back to being the sprightly little angel, that we all adore, very soon. So far she's already in better spirits and I am positive she will ready for snuggles with everyone in the near future.

I am very grateful that so many people have donated to Miss Foxy Brown's Feel Better Fund. It has made a world of difference and I am happy to say that the animal hospital is working out a payment plan for the remaining balance. They are truly the most amazing animal hospital I have ever encountered.

My sincerest gratitude goes out to all of those who have donated their time, money, love and support. I would not have made it through these past few weeks without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment