Help A Sista Out!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Miss Foxy Brown Is Such A Patient Patient.

Yesterday we spent the day with a visit to the Dogtor.



We had a follow up and needed to see if Miss Foxy Brown was a good candidate for the heart medicine she needs. She saw her regular veterinarian and he looked over all of her last appointments results and x-rays. He re-checked her lungs and breathing, saw that they seemed well and found that there was no longer fluid in her lungs. I was relieved.

He said her collapsed trachea is where her trouble breathing originates. When she gets over excited this can make it harder for air to travel and she will cough. He mentioned that heat can also make the trigger more significant and it hadn't gotten worse from her last appointment. I was so happy that something she's dealing with hasn't progressed. Point for Foxy!

We moved on with the exam. Miss Brown was only a little nervous and she only looked slightly scared during the lung and heart testing. Overall Miss Brown seemed mostly at ease... Until it was time to take her temperature. Anyone that has an animal knows that it's pretty much down hill in the nerves department after that. I can't say I wouldn't feel the same. Thank goodness they use ear thermometers for me. I'm positive I wouldn't handle my temperature being checked as well as Miss Foxy Brown does. She braved the rest of the exam and being weighed while looking at me with the "pick me up please" look she's mastered. When I finally held her, she snuggled more than usual.

The dogtor said she was well other than the heart murmur. He wanted to run a mini panel to be sure her liver and kidneys were well enough to start a new heart medicine. He took her to the other room to get a blood sample and I waited in the exam room talking to the manager of the animal hospital. She mentioned how much better Foxy looked and I agreed. Her thyroid medicine has been helping her gradually lose weight and she is less lethargic.

In the waiting area two little kids came up and started petting her. She looked at me and let me know she enjoyed the attention. One of the children, a little girl, asked why she was there. I said she wasn't feeling well. She asked what was wrong. I said it was her heart and the little girl said "Aww, what's wrong with it?" I replied "She has so much love to give that her heart is getting bigger. That makes her tired and we want her to be less tired." The little girl and her brother both said "Awwww" in unison. I looked up and the mother, two receptionists and another client were smiling and giving me the tilted head "awww" look. I smiled and waited for the medicine and my turn to pay.

We were soon given the good news that she has a healthy liver and kidneys. After we got the medicine and paid the bill, we were out the door. Miss Brown was literally jumping with joy to be out of there.

Miss Foxy Brown started her new heart medicine after her walk today.



It has to be taken about a half hour after her thyroid medicine and I decided that a walk in between would help move the time along. I figured she would assume her heart medicine was a kudos on her marvelous morning walks. Luckily she LOVES to take her medicine so this plan works. Thanks to Pill Pockets, she thinks she's getting a treat when she takes her pills. She thinks the word "medicine" is another way of saying "treat." Which is fine by me.

Miss Foxy Brown's spirits are up and she's always a happy girl. (as long as there are no thermometers around) I have to make sure there are no side effects for the next two weeks but I'm staying hopeful that we're on the right track with this heart medicine. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment